Click on a bullet point to jump down to that portion of the page:
WHAT ARE U.S. SERVICE ACADEMIES?
The United States service academies (also known as military academies) are federal academies that provide undergraduate education and training of commissioned officers for the United States Armed Forces.
There are five Service Academies:
Nominations are required for all but the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
ATTEND MY FREE SERVICE ACADEMY FORUM
On September 12, 2015, I will host my annual Service Academy Forum for students who are interested in pursuing an academy education. This free informational event is always open to students of any age wanting to learn about the process. Parents, educators and counselors are welcome as well.
Saturday, September 12, 2015
Preston Ridge Campus
9700 Wade Blvd.
Frisco, TX 75035
For additional information, please feel free to reach out to my District office in Plano at 469-304-0382.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR AN ACADEMY NOMINATION?
All candidates seeking nominations must be U.S. citizens, at least 17 years of age, and not more than 22 years of age on July 1st of the year of admission. In addition, the candidate must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
Selection for nominations is based on the following:
- Academic records,
- Class standing,
- Athletic ability,
- SAT and/or ACT scores,
- Medical and physical aptitude tests, and
- Leadership potential.
Any person who meets these requirements has a chance to be nominated.
No person will be offered admission if he or she does not meet the physical standards of the Academy unless awarded a medical waiver.
WHO SHOULD YOU CONTACT FOR A NOMINATION?
If you are interested in attending one of our Nation’s service academies, you must be nominated by an authorized person. Authorized persons include your United States Senators, your United States Representative, and the Vice President (if very highly qualified). As a 3rd District constituent, this means you may contact Senator John Cornyn, Senator Ted Cruz, or me for a nomination.
Keep in mind that each year I can nominate up to ten students to each school for consideration.
As nominations and appointments are very competitive, it is wise for all interested persons to apply through all sources for which they are eligible and for all Academies in which they have a real interest. An individual may be nominated by more than one nominating authority and/or to more than one Academy.
APPLYING TO MY OFFICE FOR A NOMINATION
As your Representative, I have the opportunity to nominate qualified young men and women who reside in the 3rd Congressional District for appointment to our nation's service academies.
Students interested in a congressional nomination should request an application form – ideally in the spring of their junior year or just before starting their senior year in high school. You will then be emailed a nomination application.
REQUEST A SERVICE ACADEMY APPLICATION FORM HERE
Your completed nomination application and the other required documentation must be returned in its entirety to my Plano office. For the 2015 nomination cycle, this completed information must be submitted by Thursday, November 12, 2015.
Also, please note that it is extremely important that candidates begin a separate application process with the academies directly themselves.
1255 W 15th Street Suite 170
Plano, Texas 75075
Phone: (469) 304-0382
Fax: (469) 304-0392
MY APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- APPLICATION: Your application must be completed and signed by you and your parent or guardian. The application must be legibly written or typed. If you need an electronic copy, please contact my Plano office.
- PROFESSIONAL RESUME: Your resume should include your email address.
- PERSONAL ESSAY: Your essay should highlight why you wish to attend a service academy and what type of career you would like to pursue in the military. Please keep this typed statement brief and limited to one page.
- CURRENT WALLET SIZED PHOTOGRAPH: Please ensure your name is written on the back. (Note: this is for identification purposes only)
- CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT: Your transcript should include your GPA through the end of your junior year on a 4.0 scale as well as your class rank. (Note: please confirm the class rank includes all grades including the spring semester of your junior year. Many schools mail these directly to my office after you make the request.)
- OFFICIAL COPY OF COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT (if applicable): This should include courses currently in progress and your GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- OFFICIAL SAT/ACT SCORES: Your scores must be sent directly from the college boards. (Note: Test scores must arrive by November 12, 2015. Please carefully review the dates you take these tests to ensure they will arrive from the testing organizations at my Plano office by the deadline. Photo copies of your test scores are not acceptable. Scores listed on the back of your certified high school transcript are considered official.)
- RECOMMENDATIONS: These are accepted but not required. They must be submitted with your application. We will accept up to two letters of recommendation.You must use the required recommendation form found HERE.
- INTERVIEW WITH AN ACADEMY LIAISON OFFICER (ALO) from the academy of your first preference. It is your responsibility to find out from the academy who your assigned ALO is and for you to reach out to them. The ALO will let us know once the interview is complete – you do not call need to call my office to let us know this task has been completed.